< More Job Openings
Regional Safety Manager - Chicago, IL Area
Job Code: 2020-00-100-008
Regional Safety Manager – Chicago, IL Area
Black Horse Carriers is a privately held company rooted in rich history that goes back 100 years. We are focused on providing best in class Dedicated Fleet Services and Private Fleet Replacement Services for companies in the Food and Grocery, Retail, Bakery, Dairy, Consumer Product, Industrial and Automotive industries.
We have experienced tremendous growth and have a new, exciting opportunity for a Regional Safety Manager in the Chicago, IL Area.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates to provide leadership and direction of the Safety function and associated processes and management systems within their geographical area of responsibility. In partnership and collaboration with operations management, accountable for driving continuous improvements in injury/collision frequency and associated costs, regulatory compliance, and claims/post-injury management in support of a strong culture of safety as a core value.
Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety and Health Management, or equivalent
Three (3) years’ experience managing transportation safety management systems, OSHA/DOT regulatory compliance, and casualty claims/transitional duty/medical management programs
Working knowledge of relevant state and federal OSHA/DOT regulatory requirements
Must be able to travel up to 50% of time; travel varies in frequency and duration
A valid driver’s license in the state of residence that meets Company requirements
Key Job Activities include:
- Being highly visible and interactive with operations teams. Perform regular terminal visits/audits per Company requirements with a critical eye toward compliance and hazard identification, while educating operations team on Safety importance to our team members.
- Conducting quarterly safety meetings with drivers in the Midwest covering 38 terminals and approximately 1000 drivers.
- Applying these methods and conducting hazard analysis and interpreting results. Reviewing, compiling, analyzing and interpreting data from accident and loss event reports and other sources regarding injuries, illnesses, collisions, property damage, inspections, and violations to:
- Identify causes, trends and relationships.
- Initiate investigations and ensure they are completed in a timely manner.
- Developing methods which integrate safety performance goals into operations and their management systems and processes and developing safety & health policies and procedures for integration into operational policies and procedures.
- Consulting, advising and participating on teams (Safety Teams, etc.).
- Staying current with technological developments, relevant regulations (OSHA, DOT), standards, codes, methods and practices with an ability to clearly interpret and communicate to operations teams that keep all facilities in compliance. Primary interface on Company regulatory inspections – manages onsite inspections, required regulatory responses and participation at hearings where necessary.
- Providing feedback on all action items found in inspections/audits to operations team while also providing potential solutions to actionable items in order to maintain facility compliance.
- Directing or assisting in planning and developing educational and training materials or courses (with focus on train-the-trainer).
- Managing and implementing hazard controls and hazard prevention programs which are within the duties of the individual's professional safety position.
- Establishing and implementing techniques for periodic and systematic evaluation of program effectiveness, including inspecting, auditing and interpreting organizational records for compliance with all applicable Federal DOT and hazardous materials regulations.
- All other duties as assigned
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
Black Horse Carriers, Inc. offers a comprehensive benefits package all full-time employees.
Black Horse Carriers, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified candidates please email your resume and cover letter to: David.Schneider@blackhorsecarriers.com
Please indicate "Regional Safety Manager" in the subject line.